25 Apr The ®GRAMMY nominated cumbia icons Los Ángeles Azules make history at COACHELLA
As the first Cumbia Sonidera music group to perform at the world famous music festival
Released new single “Nunca Es Suficiente” featuring Natalia LaFourcade off their forthcoming new album “Esto Si Es Cumbia”
Vesper Public Relations. Los Angeles, CA April 2018. From Iztapalapa, México to COACHELLA 2018, history was made over two weekends when the 40 year music veterans, Los Ángeles Azules, brought their unique blend of “cumbia sonidera,” a traditional Mexican style of music to the world renowned rock and pop festival.
Bringing traditional Mexican music to new and younger audiences is nothing new to Los Ángeles Azules
who’s most recent album “De Plaza en Plaza” has defied all odds in bringing the cumbia genre to a new generation. It was only fairly recently that ‘Mexican Cumbia’ music was relegated to “quinceañeras’ or weddings. Now with Los Ángeles Azules seducing the Coachella crowd into dancing “la cumbia” the band has catapulted the Mexican folk music genre to new heights of cultural and social strata.
Los Angeles Azules brought many musical friends on stage, which again showcased the band’s growing popularity among a younger generation even and especially among today’s young artists.
Guest appearances included Jay de La Cueva performing “17 Años”, Kinky performing “Como Te Voy a Olvidar,” and Maria Leon singing on the songs “El Liston de Tu Pelo” and “Mis Sentimientos.”
Check out some of the highlights!
Los Angeles Azules @Coachella “17 Años”
Los Angeles Azules @Coachella “El Liston de Tu Pelo”
Media coverage of the historic COACHELLA performance of Los Ángeles Azules included:
Orange County Register
Chicago Tribune (Hoy Newspaper-Chicago)
Look for the new single from Los Ángeles Azules featuring Natalia LaFourcade titled “Nunca Es Suficiente” off the forthcoming new album “Esto Si Es Cumbia.
About Los Ángeles Azules:
Los Ángeles Azules’ sound is a cumbia sonidera genre, a variation of Colombian cumbia with accordion and electronic synthesizers, creating a sound fusion of reminiscent of the 1950-1970s with those of 1990s-style electronic music. Los Angeles Azules was founded in 1976, but officially started in 1983, comprised by the siblings of the Mejía Avante family: Elías, Alfredo, José Hilario, Jorge, Cristina and Guadalupe.
Los Angeles Azules were the overall best-selling artist of 2014 in Mexico. They’ve earned multiple nominations for the following awards: GRAMMY, Latin GRAMMY, Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina and Lunas del Auditorio (Mexico). They are also considered the best-selling Mexican cumbia act of all time with sales of more than 3.5 million.
Now Los Angeles Azules has become a touring powerhouse with more than 250 shows in a year, 5 ‘Sold out’ shows, performing at Mexico City’s première venue ‘Auditorio Nacional” (over 50,000 people during the five nights), and introducing their unique brand of ‘Cumbia Sinfonica’ ( Symphonic Cumbia).
The band’s most recent albums, “De Plaza En Plaza” and their previous album “Como Te Voy a Olvidar” led them to become the first Mexican artist in 15 years to earn a Double Diamond album certification for selling more than 600,000 copies in Mexico.
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Jay de La Cueva “17 Años”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Saúl Hernández (Caifanes) “Entrega de Amor”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Carla Morrison “La Maravillas de La Vida”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Kinky “Como Te Voy A Olvidar”
Other Los Angeles Azules achievements include:
- After two years on the market, their album “Como Te Voy A Olvidar” -Edición de Súper Lujo has never left the Top 100 of the most listened albums on Spotify Mexico.
- Remained in the Top 3 chart of Popular Music AMPROFON ( Mexico).
- Remained 23 consecutive weeks at number one on the Top 150 of AMPROFON chart and are still the bestselling album of 2014 and the second bestselling of 2015.
- Their hit songs “17 Años” Feat. Jay de la Cueva, “Mis Sentimientos” Feat. Ximena Sariñana, “Entrega de Amor” Feat. Saul Hernández and “Cómo te Voy a Olvidar” Feat. Kinky reached Gold record status in digital sales with more than 30,000 downloads each.
- More than 652 million views of their VEVO channel on YouTube.
- The video for “Mis Sentimientos” Feat. Ximena Sariñana has more than 142 million views.
- The tour for “Cómo te Voy a Olvidar” travelled around Mexico and Central and South America and the United States offering more than 320 concerts.
- The first tropical music group to perform at the Latin Rock music festival ‘Vive Latino’ attracting more than 40,000 attendees.
- Their concert in “El Zocalo,” the main square of Mexico City, where they gathered more than 100,000 fans.
FOLLOW LOS ANGELES AZULES:
Twitter e Instagram: @angelesazulesmx