01 Apr From Iztapalapa, Mexico to Coachella: music veterans Los Ángeles Azules bring their unique blend
From Iztapalapa, Mexico to Coachella, CA
GRAMMY nominated Cumbia icons
Los Ángeles Azules
Now, hipster America is scheduled to discover them this spring at Coachella, where Los Ángeles Azules will make history as the first Mexican popular music act to ever play at the festival.
( Gustavo Arellano)
Set for 2 performances at COACHELLA 2018.
Friday April 13 -Weekend 1 & Friday April 20 -Weekend 2
Vesper Public Relations. Los Angeles, CA April 2018. From Iztapalapa, Mexico to COACHELLA 2018, for the first time ever the 30 year music veterans Los Ángeles Azules bring their unique blend of Cumbia to the world renowned music festival.
Their most recent album “De Plaza en Plaza” has defied all odds in bringing the cumbia genre to a new generation. It was only fairly recently that ‘Mexican Cumbia’ music was relegated to “quinceañeras’ or weddings. That was before Los Ángeles Azules catapulted the genre to new heights of cultural and social strata. defying all odds.
Los Ángeles Azules released “Como Te Voy a Olvidar” in 2013, a greatest hits album featuring a stellar cast of Latin Alternative recording artists who couldn’t miss the opportunity to participate in an album that impacted the music industry and topped the sales charts in Mexico. Soon after Los Ángeles Azules did the unthinkable, they performed at Mexico’s premiere Latin Rock Festival Vive Latino (2013) to a new generation of kids who rapidly embraced the music previously only heard at their parent’s fiestas.
Now Los Ángeles Azules has become a touring powerhouse with more than 250 shows in a year, 5 ‘Sold out’ shows, performing at Mexico City’s première venue ‘Auditorio Nacional” (over 50,000 people during the five nights), and introducing their unique brand of ‘Cumbia Sinfonica’ (Symphonic Cumbia).
A highlight of last year’s milestone performances for the group was their performance with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, with over 14,000 people in attendance at the Hollywood Bowl. They wrapped up the year with a massive show at the iconic ‘Angel de la Reforma’ in Mexico City in front of an audience of more than 60,000.
Their album “De Plaza En Plaza” (released in 2016) was produced by Camilo Lara and was written, co-produced, arranged by the very own, Los Ángeles Azules’ Jorge Mejía Avante. The orchestration, symphonic arrangements, direction and production of orchestra was conducted by the maestro, Odilón Chávez. General production and mixing was done by Abelardo Rivera.
De Plaza en Plaza track listing includes: “Cumbia del infinito” Feat. Natalia Lafourcade/Rodrigo & Gabriela,”Ay amor” Feat. Ana Torroja & MC Davo, “Mi Niña Mujer” Feat. Ha*Ash, “Mi Cantar” Feat. Gloria Trevi, “20 Rosas” Feat. Aleks Syntek, “Por tu Amor” Feat. Fito Paez, “Las Maravillas de la Vida” Feat. Miguel Bosé, “Amigos Nada Más” Feat. Pepe Aguilar, “Me Haces Falta tú” Feat. Yuri, “Cumbia del Acordeón” Feat. Los Claxons, “La Cadenita” Feat. Alicia Villarreal, “Hermoso Bebé” Feat. Tessa Ía, and “Amor de amores.”
“De Plaza En Plaza” followed their previous hit album “Como Te Voy a Olvidar” which led them to become the first Mexican artist in 15 years to earn a Double Diamond album certification for selling more than 600,000 copies in Mexico.
Los Ángeles Azules were the overall best-selling artist of 2014 in Mexico. They’ve earned multiple nominations for the following awards: GRAMMY, Latin GRAMMY, Premio Lo Nuestro A La Musica Latina and Lunas del Auditorio (Mexico). They are also considered the best-selling Mexican cumbia act of all time with sales of more than 3.5 million.
Los Ángeles Azules’s sound is a ‘cumbia sonidera’ genre, a variation of Colombian cumbia with accordion and electronic synthesizers, creating a sound fusion of reminiscent of the 1950-1970s with those of 1990s-style electronic music. Los Ángeles Azules was founded in 1976, but officially started in 1983, comprised by the siblings of the Mejía Avante family: Elías, Alfredo, José Hilario, Jorge, Cristina and Guadalupe.
L.A. Taco ( Gustavo Arellano)
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Natalia LaFourcade & Rodrigo y Gabriela
“Cumbia del Infinito”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Jay de La Cueva “17 Años”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Saúl Hernández (Caifanes) “Entrega de Amor”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Carla Morrison “La Maravillas de La Vida”
Los Ángeles Azules feat. Kinky “Como Te Voy A Olvidar”
Other Los Ángeles Azules achievements include:
- After two years on the market, their album “Como Te Voy A Olvidar” -Edición de Súper Lujo has never left the Top 100 of the most listened albums on Spotify Mexico.
- Remained in the Top 3 chart of Popular Music AMPROFON ( Mexico).
- Remained 23 consecutive weeks at number one on the Top 150 of AMPROFON chart and are still the bestselling album of 2014 and the second bestselling of 2015.
- Their hit songs “17 Años” Feat. Jay de la Cueva, “Mis Sentimientos” Feat. Ximena Sariñana, “Entrega de Amor” Feat. Saul Hernández and “Cómo te Voy a Olvidar” Feat. Kinky reached Gold record status in digital sales with more than 30,000 downloads each.
- More than 652 million views of their VEVO channel on YouTube.
- The video for “Mis Sentimientos” Feat. Ximena Sariñana has more than 142 million views.
- The tour for “Cómo te Voy a Olvidar” travelled around Mexico and Central and South America and the United States offering more than 320 concerts.
- The first tropical music group to perform at the Latin Rock music festival ‘Vive Latino’ attracting more than 40,000 attendees.
- Their concert in “El Zocalo,” the main square of Mexico City, where they gathered more than 100,000 fans.
FOLLOW LOS ÁNGELES AZULES:
Twitter e Instagram: @angelesazulesmx